Saturday, February 13, 2016

Coincidences

11/2/16
News story about Einstein's theory of gravitational waves being finally proved
+
Jogging along listening to old More or Less podcast when item comes up about the measuring of gravitational waves in a 4km long underground tunnel

13/2/16
I was looking at some photos on Facebook of Brutalist Architecture in London - the photographer talking about how staircases are the essence of this style of architecture - up comes photo of the staircases of the National Theatre
+
Looking in the window of a slightly odd Covent Garden bookshop I see an adult colouring book of London Buildings and on the cover is that same stairwell with similar framing

12/2/16
While working on Parkway, Camden Town, came across...
* Mark Jacobs - in Al Parco
* Patrick Uden - driving past in his 2CV
* James Johnson - buying cachaca

19/2/16
Working in Belfast, have dinner in Malmaison, order tuna tartare and try to figure out how to make it myself, wonder how do you get those black sesame seeds, burn them or do they come black?
+
On my return a package is waiting, a gift from Amber at Blue Door, a box of goodies from Ottolenghi, including a small jar of black sesame seeds

31/3/16
Read an article in the Times at Maurizio's about Jewish tartan and how in Jewish law linen and wool are not allowed to be mixed
+
1/4/16
Item on BBC R4 Today about the Jews behind Mod and 60s fashion mentioned how in Jewish law different types of fabric can't be mixed so Jews became tailors to make their own compliant clothing

9/4/16
I listen to Bruce Springsteen's The River on a recently acquired vinyl copy
+
I'm sorting through the pile of new vinyl which includes The River, writing the titles into a notebook, and just as the track Independence Day plays I get to Independence Day, a 12" single by The Comsat Angels

7/4/16
I meet a Newcastle indie called Tunnels & Bridges (named after the unsophisticated folk who stream into Manhattan and lower the tone)
+
9/4/16
While out jogging I hear a podcast of Colm Toibin's Desert Island Discs and when talking about 'Brooklyn' he talks about the worn-down Irish men who built the "tunnels and bridges" (in the Christmas dinner scene) - I'd never heard the phrase before the day before yesterday in Newcastle

1/4/16
I watch the movie The Program on DVD and notice an end credit with the surname Knox-Johnson (I think, isn't that the name of a famous yachtsman? must be same family)
+
2/4/16
there is a fatal accident involving a female sailor in a yacht race organised by Robin Knox-Johnson who comes on radio to defend the safety measures

4/16
I am thinking about the upcoming Christy Moore gig in the showerroom - I look down at the towel I'm drying my hands on and the brand is Christy, something I've never consciously noticed before

No comments: